This recipe goes deliciously with my semolina cake drenched in rose water syrup, but it can also be enjoyed on its own (or with ice cream)
Use blood oranges in the short time that they are in season. They give a great impact!
- 4 oranges
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp honey
- 1/2 vanilla pod, or a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cinnamon stick, or a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1tsp orange blossom water
- Segment the oranges by cutting the flesh from the pith. Squeeze the central section that remains once the segments have been removed. Keep the segments separate from the juice.
- In a small pan, bring the orange juice, sugar, honey, vanilla (pod or extract), cinnamon and orange blossom water to the boil. Simmer it for a few minutes to thicken, then pour the syrup over the orange segments.
- Leave them to cool, and allow some time for the flavours to infuse.
- Serve as a side to a dessert, or as a fruity dessert to be enjoyed alone.